Wednesday 11 November 2015

The truth about sleeping nude in a hotel


WE HEAR nightmare stories of bedbugs ravaging travellers in hotels, staff walking in uninvited and even people filming through the peepholes.
So is it any wonder some guests are a tad nervous about sleeping in the buff in hotels?
One concerned traveller who wanted to get to the bottom of the issue asked the question-and-answer website Quora: “Is it safe to sleep naked in a hotel room?”.
Here are some of the most amusing (and a few helpful) responses from Quora users.
• Rupert: “What are you worried about? Pyjamas or underwear won’t protect you against bed bugs, robbers, man-eating tigers or the monster under the bed. So not wearing them is no less safe.”
• Kimberly: “I was in a hotel once where there was a door to an adjoining room (which you had to pay for if you wanted it — didn’t need it). Got up during the night to go to the rest room. I’m making my way (there), when suddenly the adjoining door opens and I see a man looking in!
“I scream, he screams and then he slammed the door shut! I then bolted it. Thinking about it now, it was actually funny because he appeared to be as frightened as I was. Fortunately I wasn’t naked but was in my PJs ... Check the bolt-locks on adjoining rooms in hotels.”
 Eric: “If you’re going to sleep naked anywhere, always keep a robe or easy-to-throw-on clothes right next to the bed. A pair of shorts and a T-shirt would be perfect.
“That way if someone knocks on the door or the fire alarm sounds, you will have something to cover yourself within 15 seconds. Slippers or (thongs) would also be handy if you have to go outside.
• Diana: “It might not be a good idea because you never know when you will have to vacate the premises! A few years ago now, a ... couple bought a python from a pet store and took it back to their hotel where they stripped off apparently.
“It wrapped itself around them both — as you do if you’re a python — and they were finally saved when their screams attracted the attention of a passing food service waiter who got security with the pass keys. Imagine yourself in their position.
“Another couple who were in Papua Guinea at the time, were asleep in one of those straw hut-type ‘bungalows’ that resorts are so fond of, when there was an almighty thump and an extremely large tropical python landed on them.
“They had to untangle themselves from the astonished snake and ran screaming into the open stark naked.”
Kunal: “As a frequent traveller myself I would say no for these reasons:
“1. Unless it’s 5-star, you cannot vouch for the level of sanitising employed by housekeeping with regards to the mattress; although sheets are changed regularly, you still have a small risk of bugs (though it might be nothing that a 38-40 degree hot shower wouldn’t kill).
“2. In the event of an emergency evacuation, you will need precious minutes to dress up (unless you are fine to bare all. But then you’re still screwed if it’s cold outside plus the possibility of violating decency laws).
“3. Depending on your view, the silk shade white curtain might not be enough to deter possible creeps from staring at you. Trust me. I’ve experienced it.
“4. Some housekeeping staff do not wait longer that 500 milliseconds between announcing themselves and opening the door. I don’t know about you, but I hate that.
“5. You might be disoriented and hurt yourself worse in the dark, should you wake up in the middle of the night for a nature call.”
• Michael: “Both me and my wife used to clean hotel rooms for a living. Since we had to enter the rooms of our guests no matter if they were there or not, our cards had to be coded to access-all areas.
“Occasionally, we would come in and our guests would be sleeping — completely naked. Two things happened then: We would immediately leave the room because if they wake up, it would be embarrassing to both of us.
“The other thing that would happen is you and your room number would gain immediate fame among the hotel staff. You are the rock star for a day!”
• Wim: “Well, technically you could die because you’ve slept naked instead of wearing shorts and T-shirts or whatever you like to wear in bed. Why?
“Consider this: A fire is blazing in the hotel and you need to evacuate immediately. You are naked so you spend precious time to pull on trousers and a shirt. Unfortunately, this took too long and you die in the fire.
“If you were wearing clothes you would save a few more seconds for your escape if you decide to immediately leave the room instead of gathering your possessions ...
“(There) is some additional embarrassment when someone accidentally sees you naked in bed or when you leave skid marks in bed after getting up.”
 Phil: “When in a hotel, many people don’t sleep soundly. And since there’s (often) a bar right downstairs, it’s easy to have a few beers right before sleep. Even if you do pee right before bed, this combinations means that needing to go again in the night is common.
“Now in a hotel room, the bathroom door is (often) right next to the door to the hallway. So wake up in the night, into the bathroom, close the door, open your eyes and ... oh no, this isn’t the bathroom, you are naked in the hallway and you have no key (and you still need to pee!).”
Keith: “Are you concerned about the hidden cameras, or maybe the unexpected incursion through the trap door under the bed, or someone crawling in through the ventilation shaft? If so, you need to stop watching so many slasher movies.”
• Peter: “Well yes it’s fine but no if you’re not prepared for unexpected intrusions. Let me tell you what happened with me.
“I was staying in a cheap hotel. The bed was more comfortable than my bed at home. The quilt felt fluffy and soft. The sheets felt smoother and cozy. I was unaware of the scheduled room cleaners. That cleans the room once a week if you’re staying at the hotel for long periods of time.
“A knock happened on the door. I couldn’t answer the door as I was naked in bed. So I stayed in bed. Continuing to listen to my MP3 player. Thinking nothing of it. I heard rustling in the kitchen, sweeping and wiping.
“A cleaner came past the bedroom door and saw me staring while I hid myself under the covers. The cleaner must’ve seen my clothes on the couch and apologised for the intrusion and said they’d leave to let me get dressed as they wanted to clean everything else ... I really felt embarrassed.”
• Andrew: “I only sleep naked in a hotel. Bed bugs have made a major come back. Never ever place your suitcase or any garment on the bed or use the comforter. Use a strong flashlight to check the mattress.”
• Jin: “I decided to iron my shirts for the upcoming meetings that week. I was naked. When suddenly the door to my hotel room opens and a man with his luggage enters the room.
“Both he and I were dumbfounded. He immediately left the room. Apparently, the hotel double booked my room. Later, I was thinking about the incident and started to laugh. I can imagine what the other man must have thought.”
Good to know, right?

No comments:

Translate

INNOSON VEHICLE

Contact DelMel Nig

Name

Email *

Message *